Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticism and men in fashion world

Default Criticism and men in fashion world

Got a question for you. I been noticing that I am getting alot of criticism from friends and what not about me taking a path into the fashion industry. We all know that men in the fasion industry are stereotyped in some shape or form by outsiders. When ever I talk about a designer or some idea that I may have someone attempts to belittle me. Even though I can care less with what they think, I just wonder does it ever stop? After you make a name for yourself in the industry or by simply having a good job doing what you love. I also wonder how ofter does it happen to you other guys even if you aren't trying to leave your mark as a designer?

Remember the phrase............Living well is the best REVENGE! LOL It seems these days people cant stand to see anybody get on and be successful. Just ask them what they are doing with their on lives and they won't be able to give you an answer. Ignore them man, do what you do and stay away from negative people.
    What I am and who I want to be

follow your dreams and ignore nay-sayers.

hey kryptonite, i am confused by your post. why are your friends belittling you and what are the stereotypes you're referring to? to my mind people from all walks of life love fashion.

Thanks for the postive feedback. I pretty much ignoring them and most of the time its a joke and busting my chops. But it does get old after a while and wonder when the subject is going to move on to something else. Even though it pisses me off sometimes I just pretty much turn it around and use it to make me want to do better. As far as the criticism and stereo-typing I would have to say not to be judging in my own way that most guys in fields like this would be gay. People who are ignorant to the life would say such things like that and to other fields like a guy hair stylist and etc.

do you associate with a "macho" crew kryptonite?

Ignore them and don't discuss in depth what you are doing with them if they're always going to react like that.

there are always closed-minded and unsophisticated types we have to interact with. horses for courses and all that good stuff. smile and change the subject.

sounds like fear and jealousy

Yeah I guess you can say that I hang out with a bunch of macho's. I know that they're playing around its what we do bust each others chops but my biggest thing is, its funny the first time but over and over the record gets old. And the fact that I am doing something creative even more something that I want to do I would think that they would try to inspire my work instead of criticize it. Today my closest friend Justin who jokes around the most apologized and said its no harm meant just didn't see me getting into something like this but does wish me the best of luck. And his ol' lady does it sometimes but she actually inspires me and will talk to me about idea's and what thinks looks good and what doesn't. Nothing like talking to your best friends girl about fashion and him sit clueless to whats going on. But as of right now things are cool down I wish he got into like Amanda his girlfriend because I could use a guy's input since that is the type of work I want to get into.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)