Thread: fred perry laurel wreath protection

Default fred perry laurel wreath protection

i can log in again at last!

Any views on the perry dispute?

British sports fashion label Fred Perry has settled its trademark infringement proceedings against Arcadia, relating to Topshop’s use of a laurel wreath motif.

Arcadia, owned by Sir Philip Green, accepted that it had infringed Fred Perry’s trademark rights by featuring a small laurel wreath embroidered on a pink, knitted jumper that was available as part of Topshop’s winter collection this year. Fred Perry claimed that the design bore more than a passing resemblance to its iconic logo used for the past 60 years and decided to take action against the retailer.

As part of the settlement, the retail group will pay damages to Fred Perry as well as legal costs, and has also agreed not to sell the product in question in future.

Fred Perry's representative, Roy Crozier, Joint Head of Intellectual Property at Clarke Willmott said: “This was one of the clearest cases of trade mark infringement I have come across in the fashion industry.”

A statement from Fred Perry added: “We will not hesitate to enforce our intellectual property rights when they are infringed.

“Fred Perry would like to thank those loyal customers who brought this matter to its attention, and confirms that it will continue to take action to enforce its global intellectual property rights both against other brands who seek to trade off its designs and reputation and those who trade in counterfeit products.”

Founded in the late 1940s by Fred Perry, the then three times British Wimbledon champion, and Austrian footballer Tibby Wegner, the brand is currently celebrating its 60th anniversary with a Laurel Wreath Collection celebrating its iconic roots. The sports fashion label has also enjoyed recent success lately with a number of collaborations with the late Amy Winehouse, Olympic Gold medal cyclist Bradley Wiggins and fashion designers Raf Simons and Richard Nicoll.

at last :} fp did the right thing going for them. too many brands are trying to leech of others these days because they lack their own imagination. shame!

Quote Originally Posted by justin2 View Post
    i can log in again at last!

Any views on the perry dispute?

British sports fashion label Fred Perry has settled its trademark infringement proceedings against Arcadia, relating to Topshop’s use of a laurel wreath motif.

Arcadia, owned by Sir Philip Green, accepted that it had infringed Fred Perry’s trademark rights by featuring a small laurel wreath embroidered on a pink, knitted jumper that was available as part of Topshop’s winter collection this year. Fred Perry claimed that the design bore more than a passing resemblance to its iconic logo used for the past 60 years and decided to take action against the retailer.

As part of the settlement, the retail group will pay damages to Fred Perry as well as legal costs, and has also agreed not to sell the product in question in future.

Fred Perry's representative, Roy Crozier, Joint Head of Intellectual Property at Clarke Willmott said: “This was one of the clearest cases of trade mark infringement I have come across in the fashion industry.”

A statement from Fred Perry added: “We will not hesitate to enforce our intellectual property rights when they are infringed.

“Fred Perry would like to thank those loyal customers who brought this matter to its attention, and confirms that it will continue to take action to enforce its global intellectual property rights both against other brands who seek to trade off its designs and reputation and those who trade in counterfeit products.”

Founded in the late 1940s by Fred Perry, the then three times British Wimbledon champion, and Austrian footballer Tibby Wegner, the brand is currently celebrating its 60th anniversary with a Laurel Wreath Collection celebrating its iconic roots. The sports fashion label has also enjoyed recent success lately with a number of collaborations with the late Amy Winehouse, Olympic Gold medal cyclist Bradley Wiggins and fashion designers Raf Simons and Richard Nicoll.

Yup I think in fairness at least Arcadia accepted its mistake and didnt try to drag the whole issue through the courts, but such a high profile company really should have had more sence than to have anything featuring on its clothing that looks remotely like that of a logo from an established fashion brand
    What I am and who I want to be