Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paul smith - fashion rules

Default paul smith - fashion rules

here's the law according to paul smith

One of the biggest mistakes men make is wearing T-shirts. I understand why you’d want to wear them, especially if you’re a single man. There’s no ironing. But most guys need to have a collar around their neck for height.
    If you’re in doubt about how to wear your hair, get a non-haircut: a relatively short, nondescript one. If you try for stylish hair, you can make horrible mistakes.
    Women should always be entertained. My wife hates it when men at a dinner party lean in front of her or behind her and have a conversation as if she doesn’t exist.
    If you’re going to a formal event, you have to dress correctly. But if you get there and realize people aren’t wearing bow ties, you can put yours in your pocket.
    On a young guy, two days of not shaving looks very cool. But as you get older, it looks like you’re trying too hard, especially when you’re going gray. A proper beard is fine.
    In London, we’re not so passionate about how we look, as opposed to the Italians, who are very self-conscious. We’re not stylish dressers, but we’re good on ideas and on freethinking.
    You can learn from people who dress in an interesting way, like Daniel Day-Lewis. You can see him on his motorbike in jeans, a checked shirt, and a leather jacket. And other times he’ll have on a custom-made Scottish-plaid suit.
    Generally speaking, I wear a suit every day, because my suits are custom-made. They are comfortable. They move with me.
    I don’t have a BlackBerry. I carry a notepad and a pencil—and I don’t use a mobile. I’ve reluctantly moved to a digital camera, but only because they make them so nice and small now that they don’t spoil the line of your suit.
    I’m very happy if a man smells like himself. But if he does wear a scent, it shouldn’t be too attention seeking. The people on the other side of the office shouldn’t be able to smell you.

Banned

im guessing this is tongue-in-cheek?

Banned

Most of them are true really, well IMO anyway. Most of it makes sense.

Sir Paul needs to be wheeled off to the nearest old peoples home

In London, we’re not so passionate about how we look, as opposed to the Italians, who are very self-conscious. We’re not stylish dressers, but we’re good on ideas and on freethinking.
    What is this old fart talking about. All the guys I know from London are more metrosexual than any Italians, Spnaish or French.

he has a musty old anachronistic charm

sir paul smith has a lifestyle agenda to promote and the content of that list really betrays that.

Banned

I don't get the big fuss. It's intended to be lightly humorous. Who cares? The only ones I don't agree with are 6 and 9. As I said ^ most of it's common sense. Especially the one about hair styles. I see plenty of blokes trying too hard to have stylish hair, but they overdo it, or do it wrong and they mostly end up looking like twats- see most spice boys/pretty boys/fags/whatever-else-you-want-to-call-them, for proof of this.

do you think it's meant to be lightly humorous? i get the impression he's being serious.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    do you think it's meant to be lightly humorous? i get the impression he's being serious.
    I think it's got a tinge of dry humour to it. Who knows...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast