Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why selvage?

Banned

Default Why selvage?

Gucci, Prada, Chanel... my new family and substitute for a personality.
    Last edited by Pringle; 04-21-2008 at 09:22 PM.

A good point well made.

The vast majority of selvage denim jeans are in the most unflattering/unstylish cuts.

Banned

i thought the big deal was that they have the original vintage weaving machines in japan so they are the ones able to produce the original selvedge?

the selvedge doesn't make it harder to wash,first of all.
    second; just because it is selvedge it doesn't make it a better denim.
    so you are partly right there Pringle.

third:turnups with selvedge is just SO much nicer compared to wearing jeans with turnups exposing the split seam with zig zag stitching.
    I WOULD NEVER-I REPEAT- NEVER wear turnups without selvedge.

CASSIDON: I don't agree but do say that it is harder to make a jean using selvedge with-say- a bootcut. The actual flare will only end up on the inside of the leg.
    But they do exist so it is not a major problem really.
    It is a lot more straight (badaboom) forward to make a straight leg.
    Perhaps that is what you mean with unflattering?

Also it would be impossible to have selvedge in both seams unless you do not want a jean with the exact same width around the thigh/crotch area as down at the ancle....
    THAT -I say-would (probably, who knows...after all there's no rules in fashion) be unflattering!!!

Banned

Gucci, Prada, Chanel... my new family and substitute for a personality.
    Last edited by Pringle; 04-21-2008 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pringle View Post
    I think the lack of flattering cut thing is perhaps why there aren't many (if any) womens selvage jeans on the market. Women I'd have thought would see the cut and fit as the mot important priority.
    eggsactly(well it is easter after all!!!)women are nice and soft and got curves!
    so yeah you see what I mean with straight(o'boy,managed to through in another one...) versus bootcut!?
    Did I say they smell good too...?

Banned

Gucci, Prada, Chanel... my new family and substitute for a personality. I cant think for myself as I'm a trend whore with the personality of horseshit.
    Last edited by Pringle; 04-21-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Yeah it all makes sense now, and you have enlightened me. I must have been having a huge brain fart all this time! It's so blindingly obvious that the selvedge edge cant be flared out for a bootcut, as it'd dead straight because it's a woven edge, not a cut then sewn shaped edge. *slaps head* doh!

So do selvage jeans with only one side flared (the inside) look daft? I'm tryna picture it...I think in the end a normal straight leg would look better hence why most jap brands won't do bootcut. Fair play I guess.
    No as I said there is some really good ones eg; Regular Ralph: the style that made NUDIE jeans what they are with out a shadow of doubt.
    got a pair myself even though i haven't worn them for about 4 years.

Is that different to the Regular Alf right..? Does the Ralph have turn ups as I dont like 'em?
    don't know Regular Alf (like the name though)

No Regular Ralph is a boot cut jean that comes with or without selvedge
    -correct me if I'm wrong here anyone- but the first Reg Ralph's came with Selvedge. Raw.
    Turnups/folded is completely up to the owner of the jean.
    Are you with me?
    Saying this in the kindest way(really like your posts...)but are you tripping or just pulling my leg now!?

CD

Flared selvedge jeans would look REALLY weird!!

I think alot of hardcore denim fans go for it due to the process of manufacture. The care and attention to detail is crazy! It's kind of like buying into the 'good old days' - just like when people buy vintage cars etc - there's something special about them compared to their modern cousins!
    It's the same with jeans. If you think about all the real stress & strain those jeans went through back in the day - cowboys/goldminers etc etc then they had to stand up to an incredible beating.
    You also have the fact they you are able to 'customise' your own jeans to the way you wear them. Take a look at some jeans which have been worn for a long time - I'm thinking Harry's RMC!
    Some people go for trying to care & be extra careful with their jeans (I can see why if spending hundreds!) to keep the indigo look - which is something I love, especially with a cuff! At the same time the worn in jeans look incredible. Jeans were used as 'workwear' and so they should really be worn as such - use, wash, use, wash etc.

I was just thinking about the flares & adero talking about it being impossible to have the selfvedge on both seams...........I'm starting to think it may be possible. It would mean weaving one leg at a time - frig knows how much that would cost, probably add 500% to the costs!! But I'm pretty certain it's possible. If it was a dead straight leg - both seams parallel upto roughly the thigh area then you could have selvedge on both seams. The hassle would be to much.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast