Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Monkey New York

Default Red Monkey New York

appears that an official red monkey shop is coming to new york:

Woooohooooo!!!! LOL cant wait to see more details, its shrouded in secrecy but this is a major plus for the brand!!
    What I am and who I want to be

does anyone know where in nyc the shop is?

the blog says coming soon: RMC NYC COMING SOON! | Kitmeout

Still none the wiser either, if I can raise the cash to fly and stop there and it co incides with my annual leave I hope to visit when it opens.

will there be any celebs at the opening?

btw, i been meaning to ask. what's the relationship between red monkey and yoropiko?

Quote Originally Posted by buzzcock View Post

btw, i been meaning to ask. what's the relationship between red monkey and yoropiko?
    Effectively they are one and the same, Yoropiko is simply a higher end ( full selvedge construction, Gold buttons, etc.), very limited more elaborate brand than Red Monkey, although saying that, some RMC is dearer than Yoropiko. The brand MKWS ( Martin Ksohoh WorkShop ) completes the range by sitting beneath RMC by offering more affordable products which on the whole are plainer and aimed at a larger general market. There hasnt been a great deal of Yoropiko made recently and future designs are likely to be plainer than previous incarnations with RMC remaining largely the same visually. Incidently RMC is made under the name Martin Ksohoh with Yoropiko made under the name Martin Yatming Lee ( the designers real name) but of course both Martins are the same person.

well said dunny

so yoropiko is the red monkey mainline?

Quote Originally Posted by tacifornia View Post
    so yoropiko is the red monkey mainline?
    Not really, RMC was released in 2002 and is the main brand with Yoropiko released around 2007 which allowed Martin to try new creative ideas and improve on the already high quality of the Red Monkey brand without making RMC different and alienating its fans I guess. Martin Ksohoh has very cleverly expanded his fashion portfolio without affecting the core RMC brand, with Yoropiko as a no expence spared higher end product and of course MKWS as a mainstream alternative to those on a lower budget who dislike the embroideries of RMC but still want the high quality of Red Monkey. I am the first to admit that RMC is an aquired taste and I feel Martin realises this too, but the success of RMC as a brand has allowed Martin to expand futherand offer products that appeal to a much bigger audience.
    In contrast many other brands have lost their way ( Evisu comes to mind ) because they have tried to change what they do to keep up with the times and clearly this has harmed the brand overall, so quite apart from improving their brand they have seen a decline in sales and interest. If it hasnt broken then don't fix it, and good classic design will always be in fashion. RMC is unique in my opinion because whilst it was perhaps most popular around 2005/2006 it has never really been "in fashion" and has never been "out of fashion" either. Rarer designs from several years ago still look good today and continue to be sought after and if my own experiance with the brand is anything to go by then clearly it still has the power to make people stop and look. Love it or loathe it, not many brands can pluck you from the crowd and generate so much interest in the wearer.

why are rmc jeans so expensive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast